Movies TV

‘The X-Files’ Creator Chris Carter Poised to Return to the Big Screen and TV

By Published on August 27th, 2013 No Comments

x-files-comic-con-2

Chris Carter does not work enough and, thankfully, he’s starting to just realize that. The television screenwriter-director recently spoke to Empire magazine regarding the future of his greatest contribution to pop culture, The X-Files.

Carter danced around the question of a third film at Comic-Con last month, but he seemed to have been inspired by the superfans present for the 20th anniversary reunion panel in San Diego. The creator of The X-Files finally spoke out on the possibility of a sequel with Empire’s Ali Plumb.

“It’s really up to Twentieth Century Fox, whether they have the will to do it,” Carter said. David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson’s also expressed interest in a sequel during the Comic-Con panel last month, according to Variety. “I think all of us are interested in putting the band back together. I have an idea for a third movie in my head. The colonization date has passed and that is something we wouldn’t ignore. For the second movie, we only had the budget for a standalone story, but we want to go back to our mythology.”

x-files-chris-carter

A return to the overly complicated colonization story would be preferable after a forgettable second film. Although the date for the invasion was set for December 22, 2012, Carter will find a way to explain the delay and what’s to come. Carter also revealed Simon Pegg was considered for a part in the second movie. Pegg starred on the cult hit show Spaced, which had numerous odes and references to The X-Files, and worked with Gillian Anderson in 2008’s How To Lose Friends and Alienate People.

“Gillian worked with Simon Pegg on a movie and told me he was a big fan,” he said. “We actually thought about putting him second movie, but there was no part for him. I certainly would think about him if we were to go forward in any way.”

The talented screenwriter isn’t solely focusing on the big screen. Deadline reported Carter’s return to television is imminent. Amazon Studios ordered a pilot to The After, a thriller set during the apocalypse that will be written and directed by Carter.

a_190x190Vulture also reported on another project from Carter that is being developed for AMC, the same network that has brought us Mad Men and Breaking Bad. According to Kara Cutruzzula of Vulture, AMC approached the writer to ask for his take on a book.

“It also owes to The X-Files and I’ve written a draft and I’m writing a second draft,” he told Vulture.

Carter was coy about the book and said, “I’m not going to spoil it,” but the director hinted he is “treading on some of this interesting ground that Bradley Manning, Edward Snowden, and Julian Assange have uncovered for us.”

He also added, “I’ve become very interested in the spectrum of political discourse as seen on the cable news channels that are conveniently right in a row on my cable provider’s dial. I can flip from Fox to CNN to HLN to MSNBC, and I find myself at night flipping it back and forth through them, and it’s something of an addiction. Not necessarily for the content but for the context. And I’m writing about it.”

AMC later confirmed to Vulture that Carter is developing a series for the network.

The truth is still out there, and it’s good to know Carter is searching for it.

Stories via Empire, Vulture, Deadline and Variety (Photos via JoBlo and Vulture)

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Share This Post: